April is National Stress Awareness month. During this time, people are encouraged to evaluate what causes the most stress in their lives and to come up with some healthy techniques for reducing their stress and anxiety.
In 1992, the Health Resource Network created the National Stress Awareness Month and designated April 16th as National Stress Awareness day. (Yes! They selected this day because it is the day after taxes are due.) The holiday was started to "increase public awareness of the causes and cures of stress."
It seems that the most turned to methods for reducing stress are not always the healthiest. Sure donuts, alcohol and a cigarette can give you instant gratification, but over the long haul these unhealthy choices can take a toll on your body.
Fortunately, there are many tips and tools available for relieving your stress. Some stress reduction options include vacations, meditation, spa treatments, exercise, list making and prioritizing things in your life.
According to a survey by the American Psychological Association, two-thirds of Americans say work is a main cause of stress in their lives. We can’t always take time off of work for a vacation or spend the money for spa treatments.
OfficePlayground.com is about having fun at work and making your workspace a more enjoyable place. How about some quick, easy and cost effective ways to reduce your work-related stress while you are sitting at your desk?
When you are in the middle of a highly stressful situation, these tips can help you calm down and refocus on the moment.
- Take a deep breath or two. Slowly breathe in through your nose and then exhale through your mouth.
- Count slowly backwards from ten. If you are having a particularly stressful day, you might need to start from 100. :-)
- Close your eyes and clear your mind and think about nothing for a few moments.
- Take a break from what you are doing and stretch.
- An easy way to combat stress is to smile. A funny moment can bring a smile to your face and quickly diminish your anxiety.
- Play with a fun stress ball.
Stress balls are called stress balls because they help relieve stress. OfficePlayground.com offers many different styles and types of stress relief balls.
- Scented Stress Balls - The lavender scented aRoma Stress Ball has a calming scent to soothe and relax you.
- Tactile Stress Balls - Roll Chinese Health Stress Balls in your hand to produce a soothing sound of chimes.
- Squeeze Stress Balls - These are stress balls that you can squish and manipulate to reduce stress.
- Bright and Colorful Stress Balls - The Fishy Squishy is a one of a kind stress ball that offers mesmerizing coral reef scenery to help keep you calm.
- Therapy Stress Balls - The DFX Mini Sports Body Roller provides a deep gentle massage to ease tension.
- Humorous Stress Balls - A funny talking stress ball can make you smile and help keep you in a cheerful mood.
OfficePlayground.com's stress balls offer a quick, easy and affordable way to manage your work-related stress. The next time you are feeling the pressure, grab your favorite stress ball and take a 5 minute break to breathe deeply and manipulate the stress toy in your hand.
Life is stressful and work can be demanding. We can’t eliminate the things that cause our stress, but we can work to minimize its effect on us.
For more stress relief information, please visit the official Stress Awareness Month website.
The Office Toy Guy
We make work fun!